Week night dinners don't need to be complicated or time consuming. A simple healthy dinner can be prepped the night before and all there is left to do is minimal cooking. Saffron chicken is a simple dish cooked in a pot with a few ingredients and usually served with rice, but this version can be grilled on a barbecue or baked in an oven. I made this on a weekend day and went to the trouble of making wraps from scratch, but if you don't have time there is always the option of buying them. Sumac and saffron can be found in most grocery stores these days and barberries are found in speciality stores.
6-8 Boneless Chicken Thighs
1 Onion, sliced
1 clove Garlic, crushed
2 Tablespoons Sumac
1 Lemon, juiced
1 Teaspoon Saffron Threads
2 Tablespoons Barberries
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Salt
- In a small ramekin, place the saffron threads with 2 Tablespoons of boiling water. Cover and allow to brew for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix onion slices, crushed garlic, lemon juice, sumac, saffron, salt and olive oil in a bowl, and add the chicken pieces.
- Ensure all the chicken pieces are covered with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (for best result marinate overnight).
- Place the chicken pieces on a baking tray, sieve the marinade over the chicken pieces.
- Bake in a hot oven at 220C for about 20 minutes or until golden. Test the chicken pieces by cutting the thickest part and see if juices run clear.
- Once golden, sprinkle the barberries over the chicken pieces and bake for 2 minutes.
- Serve with a salad, mint yoghurt and lavash wraps.